Hello, everyone! Yesterday was very busy, and around 9:00 last night I realized I hadn’t published anything. By that time I was just too tired and decided to wait until today. But my son said maybe the tips would be so good they’d be worth waiting the extra day!
I hope you’re all having a great day. It’s very pretty here, but much cooler than it has been for a while. We’re all just waiting for the warm temperatures to return!
This week’s tips are entirely different than the usual food-related ones – they are all about stain removal and laundry. We all have to deal with these issues unless we have household help (wouldn’t that be nice?) or take everything to a professional.
1) Do not iron a stained article of clothing – stain will be set.
2) Treat spots and stains as soon as possible.
3) Launder small or delicate items in a pillowcase closed with safety pins. Or look for mesh lingerie laundry bags in department stores.
4) To remove grease stains, sprinkle with cornstarch or talcum powder. Let set for a while, then wash.
5) Ink stains can be treated with hair spray.
6) Remove blood stains by soaking with peroxide for 10 minutes; rinse well with cold water.
7) To remove gum on clothing, put the item in the freezer. When the gum is hardened it should peel right off.
8) Ring around the collar? Brush on shampoo with a soft brush, such as a soft toothbrush. Wash as directed.
9) Keep the washer clean for best results. About every 2-3 months add a quart of white vinegar to the tub full of warm water. Run through a wash cycle without clothes.
10) To prevent musty smells in drawers, closets, linen closets, etc. place fabric softener sheets in them. Unwrapped bars of scented soap work well, too.
If you have any hints or tips that work well for you, please share them with us – we’d all appreciate any help we can get!
Have a great week. And thank you for your readership and interest in this blog!